Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Signs of Fall



Labor Day has past and for me it is the end to another summer, but it is hard to think Fall when temperatures are still above 100 degrees. I can't wait to wear a long sleeve shirt, wear my sweatshirts and make pumpkin cookies. This is also the time of year when I really miss Utah, watching the leaves turn colors, feeling the cool crisp air, and waiting to take that first bite of a golden delicious apple off of my Dads apple trees. I miss my home town this time of year, I just may have to go visit!!!

This is probably the best Apple Crisp recipe I have made, so when you get your apples you need to try this!!!

Grandma's Apple Crisp

8 to 10 apples, peeled, cored and sliced
1 3/4 cup sugar, divided
1 T. cinnamon
nuts (optional) I love them in mine
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder
1 egg
6 T. butter

Preheat oven to 350. Fill a large glass 13x9x2 baking dish three-fourths full of sliced apples. Top with 3/4 cup sugar and cinnamon, adding nuts if desired. Let stand while you mix together the flour, one cup sugar, salt, and baking powder. In a separate bowl, beat egg until light, and work into flour mixture until crumbly. Place crumble mixture over apples. Melt butter and pour over the top. Bake for 45 minutes, until crust is lightly browned.
Serve warm with vanilla ice cream, Yummy!!!

4 comments:

pirate ride said...

Yes, yes come visit!!!! I miss Grandpas apples so much his were the best in town! I love fall its my fav just wish it would last longer the snow always seems to fly to soon!! COME VISIT!! Love ya, XOXOXO

Bonnie and Jim said...

I thought about going down and asking for one of dad's apples. I miss them so much. Even better when he would peel them for us. Fall is my favorite too. I will have to try your apple crisp.

Jared Westergard said...

That sounds delicious!

Bonnie and Jim said...

Ok Jana, you better start planning and getting your nerve. Jim says we can go on a cruise this next year and he wants you and Lynn to come along. So take what ever you need to get over your fear of water, I'm ready to cruise!!!!!