Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Costa Rica Earthquake - the heart-wrenching aftermath


Last Thursday there was a 6.2 Earthquake which happened close to Josh. We heard from him yesterday and he is OK. There was a lot of damage and Im sure there is going to be many opportunities for service for the missionaries. The U.S. Embassy reported as of Monday evening they had no reports of missing U.S. citizens or the deaths of U.S. citizens. Locals have not been as lucky. The official death toll at last count was 17. Another 20 are missing. There are some truly sad stories, and this nation sees this as a very serious tragedy. The president has declared a national emergency, and a period of national mourning. Festivals have been canceled and flags are flying at half mast. Rescue teams are digging through landslides searching for bodies. Thousands are sleeping in tent camps, schools or churches. Hundreds of houses have been totally destroyed.

Our prayers are with those people in Costa Rica.





4 comments:

Forbes Clan of Six said...

Bless their hearts. I am so glad Josh is ok. What a scary experience for you and him. They are also in my thoughts and prayers. Give him me love please.

Jana said...

Thanks Amber, I will tell him. Hope your doing well give those cute girls a hug for me. Love ya!!

Bonnie and Jim said...

Those poor people. I'm sure it has been devistating for them. I'm glad Josh and all our missionaries are ok. Are you sure you want to go? I will keep you all in my prayers.
Love you

Jana said...

I know Bonnie and never fails every time I plan a far away trip a big plane crash happens and the one that crashed into the Hudson river is the same airline we are flying, them birds better stay out of my plane.