Thursday, February 12, 2009

Happy Birthday to My Dad!


February always reminds me of my Dad, he was born on Abraham Lincoln's birthday which is why his name is S. Lincoln Haacke. My Mom would always call him Abe, and he was known to everyone as honest Abe. That he was, and more, I always wondered how he put up with us 6 girls, taking the bathroom all the time, dealing with those girl emotions and having to put up with the boys calling and ringing the door bell all the time. He was always a gentleman around us and taught us good manners. Dad never let us girls sleep in even on weekends he would be talking into the intercom waking us up and by singing Rise and Shout the Cougars are out. I miss my Dad very much and can't wait till that day when I will see him again.
Every birthday my Mom would make his favorite cake it was a Red Velvet a special recipe of hers, she entered it in a contest and won $300.00 for it. I remember peeking under the foil and tasting some of the frosting and couldn't wait until we could eat it. I thought I would share my Mom's special recipe, perfect for Valentines Day. Happy Birthday Dad, I Love You!




RED VELVET CAKE (300.00)

1/2 cup butter
1 1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
2 T. cocoa
2 oz red food coloring (yes 2 - 1 oz bottles)
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp salt
1 cup buttermilk
2 1/2 cup cake flour
1 1/2 tsp soda
1 tsp vinegar

Cream butter, sugar and eggs. Make a paste of the cocoa and vanilla, then add buttermilk and flour alternately and beat until very smooth. Mix the soda with the vinegar and fold in. Don't beat. Bake in two 9" pans in 350 oven for 30 minutes. Frost with Heavenly Frosting. (My Mom would bake hers in a 9x13 pan, frost and then sprinkle with finely chopped nuts)

HEAVENLY FROSTING

5 T. flour
1 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup sugar
1 cup butter

Cook flour and milk and stir constantly until thick. (this will be a very thick paste). Let the four and milk mixture cool. Cream together sugar, butter and vanilla, then add the flour mixture and beat on high speed until it is the consistency of whipped cream. Spread on cake.

5 comments:

Amanda Stephan said...

I love old photos...they are the best! Thanks for sharing your family recipe...it looks delicious!

Bonnie and Jim said...

I sure miss him. I just want to hear him call us with his byu shout.
I made the red velvet cake today for his birthday. Ohhhh it was so good. Now I have to give the rest away before I eat it all.

Jana said...

I know its soo good, I think Im going to make it for Saturday that way I can leave the rest for Lexi and Jared when I leave Sunday good plan huh?

Hey Amanda I love old photos too, Ill see you when I get back.

Forbes Clan of Six said...

I miss him so much. I miss my wake up call of him saying "Rise and shout the cougars are out". I miss his advice, his direction, his blessings and the love he had for my girls and I. I miss brushing his head so that he would take us to Atlantis Burger. I miss his yelling at the school kids to stop picking his apples. I miss Halloween with him. I miss his rootbeer floats. I miss his own cussing as he watched the BYU games on T.V. when he wasn't there to watch them in person. I miss his laugh and the Christ like presence he always had with him. You have a wonderful DAD. I love you grandpa.

pirate ride said...

Oh Grampa!! I miss him so much!! Happy birthday I love you Grandpa!! I so remember that RED VELVET(300.00) CAKE It was fabulous! Thanks for the recipe!