Sunday, November 8, 2009

New York - Day 4

This was probably my favorite day, next to the concert at Rockefeller Plaza. We took a boat out to see the Statue of Liberty and then went to Ellis Island. I remember when we flew into New York we flew over the Statue, I was amazed how big and awesome it was and couldn't wait to get closer. Again this is something you see and read about your whole life and when I finally saw in person it was an overwhelming feeling, what a wonderful symbol of freedom and democracy. I also loved going to Ellis Island and being where 12 million immigrant passengers came by steamship to become US Citizens. It was amazing to see what took place and what these people went through and then some to be deported back to where they came from. The main building was restored after 30 years of abandonment and is now a museum. Today over 40 percent of Americans population can trace their ancestry through Ellis Island.


Inside Immigration Museum


Pictures and luggage of the Immigrants


I love the view of NY behind me.


Inside the Museum







View from the boat.


View of Empire State Building from the Boat.




The tall building amazed me. Yes all these people were smooshed on top of the boat - I was a little nervous.


Ellis Island


Statue of Liberty - awesome site.










My favorite picture of Lady Liberty.



2 comments:

Bonnie and Jim said...

You on a boat? I can't believe it. Wonderful pictures. What an awesome opportunity. Some day I will get there. Probably all by my self. Keep it coming.

Jana said...

Yeah I know, it kind of made me sick with all the rocking it did. and I would go back with ya so you wouldn't have to go by yourself.